Thursday, February 22, 2007

Grandpa & the Card

My grandfather recently had a total hip replacement and I wanted to send him a get-well card. I drew him a cartoon of a surgeon exclaiming, "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was..." Next to him one nurse was saying, "Does he say that during every joint replacement procedure?" and the other nurse was rolling her eyes and saying, "Every single time."

I decided that a handmade card was a little bit elementary school, so I wanted another card to send. I figured I could fold up the cartoon and place it inside. At the store I selected a religious card that said something about God guiding his recovery, and inside I wrote, "We lit a candle at church for you and we're praying for you. Feel better soon!"

After I wrote it I was a little bit torn. Whenever someone's having a tough time medically I do pray, but it's not my first instinct. I'll pray before bed that night, but that morning I'll be making food or cleaning the house. I'm pretty practical. Sending this religious card was making me feel like I was making myself out to be some uber-Catholic, and I knew I wasn't.

My grandparents, however, are uber-Catholics. I knew that my Grandpa would appreciate my offer to pray more than anything else I could do. This was less about my own self-image and more about offering my grandfather comfort in the way that would be most meaningful to him.

So I sent the super-religious card. I hope it makes him feel better.

2 comments:

dykewife said...

sometimes thinking of what will help and comfort another person is truly a a gift of heart and spirituality.

bran found this today and i thought that perhaps you might find it interesting. it's ugly expensive for some reason, but with your focus on your religion and wanting to incorporate it more into your life i thought you'd appreciate knowing this is out there. you might be able to find a less expensive copy somewhere.

Mike said...

Did you send the picture too?