Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent. I actually really enjoy Lent. Part of the reason is because Easter is my very favorite holiday - the weather's getting warmer, it's the biggest day of the church year, I get to see my family. And while it's starting to catch up with Christmas in terms of commericalism all of the Easter stuff is pastel, which is soothing, at least. Lent is a reminder that Easter is coming.

I also like Lent, though, because of the sacrifices we make. During Lent I have to be extra-vigilant to keep up with my Lenten promise of whatever I'm giving up. I have to plan my meals to be vegetarian every Friday. Every night I read the little black Lent book I get from church. It sort of forces me to arrange pieces of my life around my religion, and it makes my religion that much more tangible. Too often I force religion into the spaces that aren't occupied by my job, or my relationships, or my hobbies, and after awhile it seems to diminish the presence of my religion. But having to go out of my way to honor Lent makes me realize just how important it is.

So while most people are either annoyed at or ignoring the idea of going to Mass tonight, I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it'll be a good Lent.

1 comment:

dykewife said...

other than friday meat meals, what are you giving up for lent this year?