Thursday, July 5, 2007

Godparenting

I'm not pregnant, or even close, but with two of my close friends from college having babies this summer I've started to think about childbearing. And in addition to finding a new apartment* and getting all the gear associated with babies, I've started thinking about baptism.

Mike and I are both practicing Catholics, and I'm learning that it's a rare thing in my generation. Of all my friends and family members I only know three people my age who are churchgoing Catholics...my married friends Jen and Joel, and my friend Meghan who goes to church without her husband. Other than that, all my other Catholic friends and family are either non-practicing, unconfirmed, or otherwise ineligible.

This scares me because Mike and I are still trying to use NFP, and I think that within the next cycle or two we're going to try winging it without condoms. While part of me thinks that we'll be fine, another part of me is bracing for pregnancy. That means also bracing for delivery, and childrearing, and baptism. And I have no idea what we'll do when the time comes.

I'm sure nobody reads this blog, but if any of you do and are practicing Catholics who would like to be a godparent to a kid in the Milwaukee area, let me know. Hopefully it's a bridge we won't have to cross for three years or so, but I'm trying to be prepared.

1 comment:

dykewife said...

being a godparent doesn't necessitate that the child live with that person. all they have to do is promise to ensure that the child is raised with the catholic faith, including going to church, fulfilling the age appropriate rituals and being educated in the faith. that means that a person can be godparent and not have actual physical custody of the child.

so you can arrange to have one couple do the day to day rearing and another person ensure the kid makes it to church, goes through communion and confirmation and get caticism. make sense?