Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

Tomorrow is a holy day of obligation and I'm totally going to go. I'm 28 years old and have only gone once, when I was in college. It's odd because by that time I had pretty much lapsed in terms of my church attendance, but for some reason I felt that it was very important to drag my hung-over self to Mass that morning. I don't remember much except the feeling of misery and the knowledge that if I took any Communion wine I'd probably hurl.

Mike and I didn't go last year because he had an asthma attack after midnight which was pretty severe. I think he had a respiratory infection at the time too...anyway, he spent New Year's Day in bed and I stayed home to watch over him.

I've always thought that it was rather cruel to have a holy day of obligation after a late-night celebration like New Year's Eve. But I suppose it's another situation where you have to make a choice that's right either for your secular life or your religious life.

At least this year the pregnancy will make that choice easier. No partying, and certainly no drinking. Making it to Mass by 10 AM won't be tough this year.

No comments: